As an adult in my 40’s, I still feel that way about my sister Beth. I am in awe of her, who she is, all that she has accomplished, and how she lives her life. She is beautiful, successful, tenacious, and above all, she is a shining example of a Godly woman that I can look up to.
As a tribute to my sister, Beth, on her birthday, I want to list just a few of the things I have learned by watching her:
· Never be afraid to step out and try
· Don’t allow what others think or say affect how I feel about myself
· More importantly, don’t allow what others think or say to affect how I live my life
· When God is leading, follow – even if those around me don’t understand
· Pick my battles carefully – if I fight the small things, I won’t have energy or influence to fight what matters
· Find what is important to my children and join them in that – I can’t have a strong relationship with my kids if they don’t think I care about what they care about
· As long as it isn’t against the law or harmful to my children/teenagers in some way, allow them to express themselves – even if it embarrasses me. (Their choice of clothing (as long as it is appropriate), hairstyle, jewelry, shoes, etc is just not that big of a deal in the long run and lets them feel that I are giving them some control in their lives)
· My children’s hearts are more important than my agenda – and what is really important to them is more important than my daily schedule
· Never, ever, ever give up
· Other people’s boxes are not, will not be, cannot be my prison.
· Most importantly – never be afraid to have fun!I will always love this picture of us from last summer - and I LOVE the photo bomb by your daughter in the background ;-)
This song just really filled my heart this morning and I know it is for you. Have a wonderful birthday and please forgive me for not sending a card ;-)
your baby sister!
PS: I want to brag on her for one more moment – she was named as one of DC's Top 50 Women in Tech! Check it out here! Proud of you Beth Beck - NASA Twitter Innovator and Guru!