Social Media

Monday, March 24, 2014

Happy Birthday to the Best Sister EVAH!

I think so often we can get caught up in the business and the craziness of life that often we don’t take the time to really sit and be thankful for all that we have.  Today is my big sister’s birthday.  I am overwhelmed with thankfulness for her, who she is, the example she sets for me as a woman, a mother, and a sister.  She was 12 when I was born.  I remember growing up always looking up to her, always wanting to be just like her.  I was in awe of who she was and what she accomplished. 

As an adult in my 40’s, I still feel that way about my sister Beth.  I am in awe of her, who she is, all that she has accomplished, and how she lives her life.  She is beautiful, successful, tenacious, and above all, she is a shining example of a Godly woman that I can look up to. 

As a tribute to my sister, Beth, on her birthday, I want to list just a few of the things I have learned by watching her:

·        Never be afraid to step out and try

·        Don’t allow what others think or say affect how I feel about myself

·        More importantly, don’t allow what others think or say to affect how I live my life

·        When God is leading, follow – even if those around me don’t understand

·        Pick my battles carefully – if I fight the small things, I won’t have energy or influence to fight what matters

·        Find what is important to my children and join them in that – I can’t have a strong relationship with my kids if they don’t think I care about what they care about

·        As long as it isn’t against the law or harmful to my children/teenagers in some way, allow them to express themselves – even if it embarrasses me.  (Their choice of clothing (as long as it is appropriate), hairstyle, jewelry, shoes, etc is just not that big of a deal in the long run and lets them feel that I are giving them some control in their lives)

·        My children’s hearts are more important than my agenda – and what is really important to them is more important than my daily schedule

·        Never, ever, ever give up

·        Other people’s boxes are not, will not be, cannot be my prison. 

·        Most importantly – never be afraid to have fun!
 
 
I will always love this picture of us from last summer - and I LOVE the photo bomb by your daughter in the background ;-)
 

 

This song just really filled my heart this morning and I know it is for you.  Have a wonderful birthday and please forgive me for not sending a card ;-)

 

Love,
your baby sister! 

PS:  I want to brag on her for one more moment – she was named as one of DC's Top 50 Women in Tech!  Check it out here!  Proud of you Beth Beck - NASA Twitter Innovator and Guru!

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, this is awesome. Moved me to tears. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this for my birthday. Best present EVAH!!

    ReplyDelete